It has been almost six months since we have been able to offer the YK 35. A Client favorite, this is only available in small quantities, and the amount we get depends on how much Nobu restaurant buys. The YK 35 is one of the bottles that will open the door to the high-end world of Sake and was one of our first wow moments. A Perfect gift or something special to drink over the holidays, this has become a rarer bottle to get, but we just received a fresh shipment and have a few cases in stock now.
One of our longest-running Sakes, YK 35, set the bar for us long ago, and we can only get a few cases every couple of months. The YK 35 has been the standard for us and a bottle that familiarized our clients with high-end Sake. Most of the production goes to the Nobu Sushi restaurant, and what is left over is tightly allocated, which goes for over $400 dollars on their restaurant list! We were able to source a few cases finally after waiting for months.
The "Y" in "YK35" stands for Yamada-Nishiki, one of the top grades of Japanese rice explicitly grown for making Sake. "K" represents the type of yeast (kyokai 9-go) used in the brewing process. And "35" means that the rice polishing rate is 35%: 65% of the surface is polished away, leaving only 35% of the grain intact, which has become the standard for many premium Sakes.
YK 35 has magnificent aromatics of white flowers, bananas, lychee, kumquats, and fresh rice. There is an incredible focus, depth, and layer upon layer of beautifully interwoven nuance, perfectly balanced on the palate. It is a fantastic laser-focused Sake that longs to be paired with some traditional Japanese fare but can be quite versatile and is also very enjoyable on its own thanks to the perfect sweetness like a complementary Champagne dosage. This is our gold standard for Sake, filtered with the labor-intensive traditional drip method and made on the Island of Sando in the Sea of Japan by the Hanzu family since 1871.